Sunday, December 14, 2008

Hello 2009!

What a pity I haven't written anything in here for so long. I guess I've been preoccupied with all the other things happening in life---i.e. my sister's wedding in October and my own engagement just one week later!

I'd like to think I've been more creative since I last posted but the truth is I haven't been super productive...I painted a portrait of my sister and her husband as a wedding gift, but other than that I've barely picked up a pencil in my off time.



A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to maintain my sketchbook again, but since I am forever at a loss for inspiration, I decided to approach things a bit differently. Rather than taking on the often underwhelming task of drawing from my imagination (which usually means not drawing at all), I decided the best thing to do is start learning from artists I admire. So I plucked a children's book off the shelf and did a study of my own version of a P.J. Lynch piece from his book The Bee Man of Orn.



I was hoping this would lead to much more sketching and thus more learning-- but alas! I was just contacted about a very quick project to illustrate a short book about pioneers for an educational Reader series. Just when I thought I'd have the chance to do a little experimentation, I have to wait to finish another job first! I'm actually very happy to have the work since it is the first time I'll be working on educational illustrations. It seems like a great opportunity and since it's less than a month's worth of spare time work, it's great extra money, too!

Here are the quick layouts in progress...



















It's almost Christmas and I can't believe it! So much I want to do and now I have so little time to do it!!!! Here I go...back to work, sneezy-coughy cold and all!

4 comments:

  1. You're engaged!
    Congratulations!!! (from Costa Rica)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And also very excited to know you got your first book published and that you have a second one coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Kate
    http://educationonline-101.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always like this - when you want to do something for yourself suddenly commissions appear ;)

    Congratulations on your engagement *hugs*

    :D

    ReplyDelete