Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I Love Kidlit: Old Coyote


It's been a busy week for me (my husband had a week and a half off in between starting a new job) so I've basically been on vacation as well. I've neglected my blog but I decided to jump on to post a brief installment about another of my favorite books.

Today's feature is Old Coyote illustrated by Max Grafe. This is a perfect example of one of my favorite types of picturebooks---elegant, sophisticated, and emotionally compelling.

Max Grafe's work is often printmaking related, an influence that comes through in his mixed media illustrations that recall the unexpected textures inherent in mono prints. The subdued color palette and simple compositions add a sensitivity to what is ultimately a story about the harmonic cycle of life and death. It's a heavy theme here given delicate lightness and grace. The writing is poetic and dignified and the whole book experience is perfectly paced, quietly moving from begining to end. But beware...it may leave you a bit bleary eyed...in a good way.

3 comments:

  1. It really looks good. Could you tell me a bit of the book's plot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of intentionally shied away from saying much about the "plot"---because it doesn't exactly have one in the traditional sense. There's no real conflict or anything. It's just a narrative of an old animal journeying to his death while reflecting on the simple life he had...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it must be a very touching novel *nods*

    ReplyDelete