Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Pain, Pain, Go Away--I've Got Work to Do!

It sure has been an interesting couple of weeks. After months of constant back pain, and sporadic hip, groin, knee, and neck pain, my symptoms took a turn for the less-than-ideal. Congestion, headache, head pressure, extreme fatigue, muscle twitching, loss of concentration and fogginess in my short term memory all decided to join me on my journey to Diagnosis Alley.

So, duh duh duh: While it still has not been officially proven one way or another, I'm starting long-term antibiotic treatment for Lyme Disease since all my symptoms appear to correspond. Whether it's Lyme or not, something definitely is not normal with my body and hopefully I can be evaluated further and get to the bottom of it all before too long...

Oh, and just to keep things fun, I've also acquired extreme elbow pain in my right arm, making it very difficult to do much of anything (least of all illustration work). So I'm doing what I can to power through the last of the Scholastic portraits but have begrudgingly pulled myself out of the second half of the project. It's simply too risky to commit to work I may not be able to deliver in the coming weeks.

With a little luck, lots of optimism, and a strong dose of doxycycline, I should see some improvement in the next few days. That is, if it actually IS Lyme disease...and if not, who knows!

Whatever happens, I'm going to try to make the best out of this health dilemma. I'm sure there are many lessons to be learned from enduring whatever the next few months have in store for me. I may not be in control over what is happening, but at least I can control how I deal with it all, right?

Think good thoughts, Courtney...

P.S. Did you know I live my life based on the wisdom and guidance of fortune cookies? Well, I do. Many of my most important life decisions were directly impacted by the timely receipt of a particularly compelling cookie message.  The trick is that I ask it a relevant question, and it gives me an insightful response. This is the fortune I received when I asked the following:

How am I going to get through this overwhelming period of pain and uncertain health?


Not bad, not bad at all. :)

Anyhooo.
I did actually manage to work for a few hours today which felt good. Here are a couple more portraits with just two more to go.


Now I'm off to read and relax for the evening!

3 comments:

  1. Hey I found your blog a few months ago... fellow illustrator here. I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems! I can relate a bit (I've been dealing with hip issues. As you know, sitting at a desk for hours does not help...) Anyways, hoping for a speedy recovery for you! and wonderful portraits by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gaia.
    Yeah, it's strange... for the last few months I was under the completely logical assumption that my body pain was from working at my desk with bad posture. But it is becoming clearer and clearer that something else is responsible...I just wish I knew for certain what it was! :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh. Well I hope you figure it out soon. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete