Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Two Years Vacation by Jules Verne

I'm just begining a project for a Korean Publisher, who is producing a series of stories for young students learning English. I was lucky to have been assigned a pretty cool classic story from Jules Verne. It's about a group of 15 school boys (ages 8-14) who get stranded on an island for two years. I haven't read the original text before but I did some research and was interested to find that it had been adapted into a full-length Japanese anime film as well as a television series. Apparently it's a popular story there.

The first step in this process was to select one of the eight images in the story to illustrate as a sketch, which is what you see here. (My original comp was horizontal before I remembered it was a half-page spec and needed to be vertical.)


 
Once this sketch is approved I'll be asked to do the color final, and if that gets approved I can move on to do the rest of the story. I'm hoping they approve my work because I'd really like to do the rest. It's a decently interesting project though the pay is excruciatingly small. Having been a pretty dry summer thus far I'm content to work for just about anything. Someday I sincerely hope to be able to sustain myself a more than the current situation allows.

Thankfully I have a wonderful husband with a solid career, or I'd likely already be back at whatever kind of full-time job I could find...

But for know, I'm just going to go with the flow a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment