Thursday, July 7, 2011

Words of Wisdom

Taken from my sketchbook, a thought to remind myself that the only true way I'll fail as an artist is when I neglect the reasons why I became one in the first place.  I often get hung up on not being good enough or not being smart enough. But there are infinite roads to success. At the end of the day, the only way I'll get there is if I remove myself entirely from the equation. Being an illustrator is not about ME. It's about telling a story. Serving whatever project in the ways best suited to it. It's about creating something beyond myself. I can't guarantee anyone will like my work. But I believe that if I make art with love and enthusiasm and dedication, it will show through and reach an audience (no matter how small).
If I concentrate on doing things for worthy reasons, I remember that it's not about me at all. And that takes the pressure off just enough to get going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment