Friday, June 7, 2013

THE WRITING NOOK


I think if you really believe in something, you must do as much as you can to eliminate the barriers preventing you from taking it seriously. Even if it means converting the spare bedroom closet into a quiet place to write. Which is exactly how I spent yesterday afternoon.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of reading and I find myself consistently retreating into the second bedroom to do so. It's bright, cheery, comfortable, and sparse, with a lovely big window that gets great daylight--the complete antithesis to my basement studio. I've definitely been craving the ability to work in a place that's a little less like a cave--- and it was high time to create a place where that can happen!

Little did I know that perfect place would be a closet. I was cleaning it out when it occurred to me that the small folding table already set up in the bedroom would probably fit in there rather perfectly. Turns out it totally does. (Though I had to fold it up and open it once it was in the closet). I can even close the doors and hide the whole thing if need be. But I like to think that the doors will always be open, encouraging and inviting me to return day after day...(yay symbolism!).

Once I got the desk set up, I brought in my writing books and clipped two super bright LED lights to the shelf--and VOILA! Suddenly it became a bright, clean, inspiring little workspace. I picked up a white shadowbox mirror from Target and hung it so that I can stare straight ahead into the reflection of the windows behind me. Almost as good as having a desk by the window. Most importantly, I pinned up some inspiring quotes from my favorite authors so their words can guide me through this exciting but wholly unfamiliar territory!

Today was the first day really using the space, and I must say, it was quite nice.  I pinned up a couple of illustrations to inspire me as I write, along with dozens of handwritten notes with important key words and phrases that I want to keep in the forefront of my mind while I write. Today was also Day 1 in attempting to follow "The Artist's Way." I'm hoping to use it as a way to sort out my priorities, overcome my fears and inhibitions, and open my mind to new learning experiences.  

I flew through my three written "Morning Pages" and could have gone on for hours, but being that I've got 84 more days to write my heart out it's probably best to save some for the rest of the 12 weeks. Writing things down is just so darn cathartic. I'm truly hoping that all this free writing will evolve into free thinking, which in turn will feed the idea generator... At the very least, it gets me into the habit of sitting in my chair with pencil in hand, putting thoughts into words. That's writing, right???

No comments:

Post a Comment